If any of the following are present or suspected, please refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
- Airway compromise
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Acute burns
- Uncontrolled sepsis including hand infections
- Complex facial fractures
- Compound fractures
- Threat to limb viability
- Hand fractures (open or closed)
- Acute fingertip injuries
- Tendon injuries
- Acute development of peripheral nerve compression symptoms following trauma or acute event
- Lacerations and wounds not suitable for primary health management e.g. lip lacerations, large facial lacerations, lacerations with altered sensation, large skin defects.
- Amniotic band compromising circulation